Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten (1977/1980)
Piano Concerto No 3 in D minor, Op 30
Symphony No 4 in E minor, Op 98
Electrifying, impassioned and breathtakingly virtuosic, Rachmaninov’s Piano Concerto No 3 embodies the Romantic bravura tradition with its expansive lyricism, irrepressible character and lush blend of forces. British rising star Alexander Ullman – winner of both the Franz Liszt International Piano Competition in Budapest (2011) and in Utrecht (2017) – will bring his captivating rendition of this timeless classic to his début with Hong Kong Sinfonietta under the baton of Swedish conductor Ola Rudner, in a programme which also includes Brahms’ exquisite Symphony No 4 and Arvo Pärt’s Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten.
Alexander Ullman (Piano)
“He combines sensitivity and agility at the highest level.”Gramophone Magazine
“Every nuance perfectly judged, poised and placed … His sound is unique.” Seen and Heard International
“Beautifully delicate playing, with vibrant colours…One to watch.” BBC Music Magazine
“Ullman followed in the best interpretative tradition, flaunting mastery and absolute assuredness.”Il Nuovo Pesaro
“He heard the score with immense clarity and vision, and brought it to life as if the composer were watching over his shoulder.”Huffington Post
- 1st Prize, Franz Liszt International Piano Competition Budapest 2011
- 1st Prize, International Franz Liszt Piano Competition Utrecht 2017
- Has performed with such orchestras and conductors as Philadelphia Orchestra, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Netherlands Radio Philharmonic, Norwegian Radio Orchestra, St Petersburg Philharmonic, Vladimir Ashkenazy and Markus Stenz
Ola Rudner (Conductor)
“It was surprising with what ease and naturalness Rudner managed to find new facets” Südwestpresse
- Chief Conductor, Württembergische Philharmonie Reutlingen (2008-2016)
Disease Prevention Measures
- Audience members will need to go through temperature checks upon entering the performance venue. Those with fever symptoms will be denied entry and should seek immediate medical advice.
- Audience members must wear their own masks inside the performance venue.
- To comply with the reduced capacity and social distancing regulations of the performance venue, special seating arrangements are in place. Please sit in your assigned seats.