|Conductor||Jason Lai (HKS Artist Associate 2009-2011)|
La Clemenza di Tito Overture, K621
Clarinet Concerto in A, K622
Klezmer’s Smile (world première)
Symphony No 8 in G, Op 88
Featuring two works by Mozart – both written in 1791, the last year of his tragically short life – this concert opens with the spirited overture to La Clemenza di Tito, followed by the only concerto the prolific composer ever wrote for the clarinet and one of the most important in the instrument’s repertoire – the Clarinet Concerto in A. This exquisite work will be performed by the incredible Israeli clarinettist Gilad Harel, who is celebrated not just as a master interpreter of classical music, but also a leading advocate of contemporary and Jewish music. Together with Hong Kong Sinfonietta under the baton of Jason Lai, he will also showcase his stunning musicality and virtuosity in Klezmer Smile, caprice on traditional tunes for clarinet and orchestra. The concert will conclude with Dvořák’s exuberant Symphony No 8, in celebration of the 180th anniversary of the great Czech composer’s birth.
Gilad Harel (Clarinet)
“The freewheeling fluency of Harel’s clarinet playing was certainly arresting.” The Sunday Times
“Harel is a clarinettist with incredible presence, rich and deep sound and exploding playing.” Haaretz
“Harel sung and sobbed by life, prayed and laughed in sky-high tones and in basses that gently caress the soul.” Tagblatt
- An extraordinary and multifaceted virtuoso who excels in all the genres for clarinet: classical, contemporary, cabaret, Klezmer, jazz, etc
- Has performed with Geneva Chamber Orchestra, Geneva Camerata, Torino Philharmonic Orchestra, Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra, etc
- Regular collaborators include cabaret singer Ute Lemper, mandolin virtuoso Avi Avital, and he was the clarinettist of the renowned contemporary music group Meitar Ensemble for many years
- Has worked with leading composers such as Elliott Carter, Milton Babbitt, Salvatore Sciarrino and Tristan Murail
Jason Lai (Conductor / HKS Artist Associate 2009-2011)
“Enthusiastic and energetic.”The Telegraph
- Principal Conductor, Yong Siew Toh Conservatory
- Principal Guest Conductor, Orchestra of the Swan
- Associate Conductor, Hong Kong Sinfonietta (2013-2014)
- Associate Conductor, Singapore Symphony Orchestra (2013-2018)
VIEW HOUSE PROGRAMME
Disease Prevention Measures
- Audience members will need to go through temperature checks upon entering the performance venue. Those with fever symptoms will be denied entry and should seek immediate medical advice.
- Audience members must wear their own masks inside the performance venue.
- To comply with the reduced capacity and social distancing regulations of the performance venue, special seating arrangements are in place. Please sit in your assigned seats.
(Conductor / HKS Artist Associate 2009-2011)