Circuits (1990) (Hong Kong première)
From Old American Songs, Sets 1 & 2:
From Porgy and Bess:
From West Side Story :
Appalachian Spring Suite
Adagio for Strings
Second Essay for Orchestra, Op 17
The 20th century saw a flourish of towering figures in American music rising to prominence on the global stage, bringing their fresh, unique and often folk- or jazz-inspired voices to the classical music scene with unparalleled success. An American Songbook celebrates the quintessential and unmistakable American sound – see the colourful and dynamic expanse of the country through the music of Copland, Gershwin, Barber, Bernstein and more, presented to you by Hong Kong Sinfonietta and soprano Vivian Yau under the baton of Ken Lam!
Ken Lam (Conductor)
- Music Director, Charleston Symphony Orchestra
- Music Director, Illinois Symphony Orchestra
- Resident Conductor, Brevard Music Center
Vivian Yau (Soprano)
“A light, silvery, bright soprano with impressive coloratura.” The Aspen Times
“ Her clear, silvery tone, by turns sweet and cutting, was complemented by a strong stage presence, expressive dynamic choices, and clear emotional arcs in each aria.”San Francisco Classical Voice
- Performed the title role in the world première of Pierangelo Valtinoni’s Alice in Wonderland at the 2021 Hong Kong Arts Festival
- As Rosina in The Barber of Seville with Aspen Opera Center and Mediterranean Opera Festival
- Other operatic roles performed include Adele (Die Fledermaus), Tirésias (Les Mamelles de Tirésias), Asteria (Tamerlano), and Valentina Scarcella (Later the Same Evening)
- Carnegie Hall début as a soloist in Bach’s Christmas Oratorio with the Cecilia Chorus of New York
Disease Prevention Measures
- Audience members will need to go through temperature checks upon entering the performance venue. Those with fever symptoms will be denied entry and should seek immediate medical advice.
- Audience members must wear their own masks inside the performance venue.
- To comply with the reduced capacity and social distancing regulations of the performance venue, special seating arrangements are in place. Please sit in your assigned seats.
VIEW HOUSE PROGRAMME