|Principal Guest Conductor||Christoph Poppen|
|Viola||Adrien La Marca*|
|Composer||Charles Kwong (HKS Artist Associate)|
a fictional overture (2021 version, world première)
Cello Concerto in A minor, Op 129 (Adapted for Viola)^
Symphony No 3 in E-flat, Op 55, “Eroica”
*Replacing the original soloist Edgar Moreau
^Replacing Haydn’s Cello Concerto No 1 in C, Hob VIIb:1
Joining hands with French viola superstar Adrien La Marca and Principal Guest Conductor Christoph Poppen – both of whom travelling from Europe despite the quarantine measures – Hong Kong Sinfonietta offers an electrifying addition to the programme of the 2021 Hong Kong Arts Festival.
Since being named “New Soloist of the Year” by Victoires de la Musique Classique in 2014, Adrien La Marca has performed at the world’s most prestigious venues such as the Paris Philharmonie, London Wigmore Hall, Amsterdam Concertgebouw, Berlin Konzerthaus etc, impressing audiences with his depth of expression, technical mastery and compelling stage presence. In this concert, he will play a viola adaptation of Schumann’s captivating Cello Concerto in A minor.
The concert also features Beethoven’s timeless “Eroica” Symphony under the baton of Christoph Poppen, as well as the world première of HKS Artist Associate Charles Kwong’s a fictional overture – an ahistorical reimagination of the orchestral timbre that becomes one with the sonorities of nature.
Adrien La Marca (Viola)
“La Marca surely is the new Viola Hero.”Le Monde
“Prodigy and champion of his instrument, Adrien La Marca is today’s Viola Prince.” La Croix
- Has performed with renowned orchestras such as Orchestre National de France, Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio-France, Leipzig Radio Symphony Orchestra (MDR), Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra, Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liège (Artist-in-Residence for 2018/2019 season)
- Has performed at prestigious venues such as the Paris Philharmonie, Wigmore Hall, Amsterdam Concertgebouw, Berlin Konzerthaus, Vienna Musikverein, and at festivals including Verbier, Schubertiade, La Roque d’Anthéron, Aix-en-Provence, Ravinia, among others
- Revelation Instrumental Soloist of the Year, Victoires de la Musique Classique 2014
Christoph Poppen (Principal Guest Conductor)
“Excellent interpretation.”Kölner Stadtanzeiger
- Principal Conductor, Cologne Chamber Orchestra
- Artistic Director, Marvão International Music Festival, Portugal
- Artistic Director, Classic Revolution Festival, South Korea
- Music Director, Deutsche Radio Philharmonie (2007-2011)
- Artistic Director, Munich Chamber Orchestra (1995-2006)
Charles Kwong (Composer) (HKS Artist Associate)
- Artist-in-Residence 2020, Zürich University of the Arts
- His works have been performed by Ensemble intercontemporain, Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, Hong Kong Sinfonietta, and featured at Takefu International Music Festival
Disease Prevention Measures
- Audience members will need to go through temperature checks upon entering the performance venue. Those with fever symptoms will be denied entry and should seek immediate medical advice.
- Audience members must wear their own masks inside the performance venue.
- To comply with the reduced capacity and social distancing regulations of the performance venue, special seating arrangements are in place. Please sit in your assigned seats.